Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Work

An anonymous wiseman once told me that if two people can work well together, the relationship is meant to last. And although that particular relationship he spoke of did not last, I still keep what he said in my memory, because I think it's true.

Sitting in my living room, smoking my grandpa hookah tonight, I brought those words up to a good friend. We were talking about a relationship she's in, and they came to me. And then I kept thinking about them--not who said them or why, but rather how true they are.

Everyday we interact with colleagues. All types of people with whom we problem solve and depend on and trust. Beyond our cubicle neighbors nine to five, we do business with almost everyone we talk to. We exchange money at the deli, we sign leases with our friends, we participate in class in hopes of a better grade.

And when we date, we interview on a couple of evenings over wine and movies, and eventually sign a verbal contract of monogamy. And one day, we sign a written contract, get an ID to wear around our finger and maybe get a baby as a signing bonus. Perhaps dating relationships, maybe even all relationships, are really just esoteric business ventures. Afterall, co-workers who work well together rarely break a contract. I mean, you could land in court for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home