Monday, September 18, 2006

I failed to write in my blog over the summer, which is ironic because before I left for Peru, all I thought about was how ready I was to blog away while I was there. What I forgot was that writing can't be forced, and that sometimes when we experience things we cannot truly understand them until we've had some time away.

One of the first days that I was in Peru, I went to the computer lab at the unversity where I was studying. I signed in to the blog that I had set-up before I left, and sat in front of that blinking computer line that bounces around an empty page, taunting writers as it screams, "I'm ready! What are you gonna give me?!"

I stared at that line for a few minutes that morning in Lima, and for the first time since I had arrived, my mind went blank. I remember it going blank, rebooting itself from fear of the overwhelming amount of information that flooded it, and so deciding that nothing, in fact, was going on at all. I closed the page and said adios to the line. I haven't opened it since today because now I think I'm done rebooting.

I thought of Lima today when I woke up. In the 7:30AM shadows on a fairly humid mid-September morning in New York, apparently you can close your eyes, and feel like you're in a Lima winter. It was mostly the fact that you can't really tell if your chilly, too warm or comfortable, and that the air is so moist, you feel like you can squeeze it and mold it with your seemingly damp fingers. That's what made me want to write: that small moment, half asleep, buying a second cup of coffee, I when shut my eyes for just 10 seconds and imagined I was there. I believed it for two, and that was good enough to get me through my day.

So I'll keep writing. Until I go away again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home