Sunday, October 29, 2006

On CNN's "The Situation Room" they had a segment the other day about single women as a voting demographic. There are 37 million of us in the United States, and just barely half of us voted in 2004 Presidential Election. In the report, they called us "Sex and the City voters"--single women who attempt to emulate the glamorous lifestyle of Carrie Bradshaw through, in one way, being apathetic on the first Tuesday of November.

They interviewed a young women from close to where I grew up in Pennsylvania who said that there were issues that she cared about, but that she didn't vote because she didn't have time and she didn't feel like her vote made a difference.

In one sense, this drives me crazy because she's in Pennsylvania, where one of the tightest senate races is taking place and where (hopefully) young single women will contribute to a victory over Rick Santorum (the Republican incumbent who since 2000 has voted the same as George W. between 95% and 100% of the time). The race is close enough that for her to say her vote doesn't count is ludicrous, and merely proves that many girls in the country don't actually know what they're voting for and actively practice the ignorance and aloofness that unfortunately tends to come with apathy.

Now, don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to attack other females in my generation, nor am I suggesting that I'm any better. But that report scared me; it made me want to shake the millions of "single women" who won't go to the polls next Tuesday until they tune in and realize that all the political issues they complain about can be fixed FIRST by at least voting--at least taking part in the system that's making choices that effect them everyday.

I know a lot of people say that part of the joys of living in a free country is the freedom to NOT vote, and I agree. But the freedom not to vote is not an excuse for ignorance, nor is it meaningful or justifiable if one doesn't know exactly what it is that she's NOT voting for.

I've been on a mission as of late, trying to figure out why it is that we just don't care--what exactly drives such a large number of young women to shut out the news and political campaigns that are raging all around us? I have not found an answer, although I desperately search for one. Beyond our admiration for Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte (who I do love, by the way), what is it that makes us feel comfortable simply not knowing? How can young women, who have more education and opportunity now than they ever have before, permit themselves to live in the dark?

Part of the reason I don't understand is because I've never lived like that. I almost had a panic attack 3 weeks ago when I thought it was too late to apply for my absentee ballot. Enough said.

But when I signed that absentee ballot, I felt good. No, I don't love either senator whose running (which is the race that's most important to me), but by signing that ballot and sealing it, I then felt as if I had done my part, however small. Because at least I was 1 in the 37 million others like me who DID decide to vote and chose to be conscious. I used my voice, however small, to make a simple, seemingly meaningless contribution. But at least I used it, right? My voice, my feelings, my right and my mind. And that's all any of us have at the end of the day anyway, isn't it? One voice that can shout as loudly or as mutely as we each decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home