Friday, August 05, 2005

Again

So, it happened again. But today, it was worse.

I was on my way to the Astor Place Barnes and Noble in search of this praised book on the Middle East written by one of my favorite NYTimes opinion writers. The approach was again a double threat-- two young guys with Children International in their baby blue crew neck t-shirts looking chipper in 98 degree weather.

The first one holds out the clipboard, "got a moment?" Friendly.

I look him straight in the eye. He looks nice, he's probably about my age and I think Children International is a decent cause. And as I side-step him, I say, "I'm sorry," as meaningfully as I can.

I keep walking. Sarcasm follows me, "are you really though?" I hear him say.

What? I want to spin around and tell him off. I want to turn around and look at him. It crosses my mind for a second, but I take control and roll my eyes instead.

Fifteen feet later, threat number 2. I don't even have to look at him, he's already glaring me down. A sneer on his face.

Practically shaking his head in disappointment, he snides, "it's just for the children."



Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt-- maybe standing there in the scorching heat all day in a baby blue crew neck can make you a little psycho. But if your job is customer service, is that an excuse? Is there any excuse?

The way they approached me, I could tell they'd been doing it like that all day. Watching one another's backs, pulling a guilt trip on people who said no, being sarcastic with the various responses they got.

Regardless, I walked away once again angry and bitter towards a good cause. And as I climbed the steps to Barnes and Noble, I literally paused and considered giving them my piece of mind. "Who do you think you are, " I imagined myself saying, "that you can intimidate me on the street for not participating in your cause? Who are you to know enough about me that you can sneer as though I don't help 'the children?' I don't help your children, the ones in your fancy binder who you've never even met. You know what? I would if I could-- I truly would. I'd help every child I possibly could, I'd save every poverty stricken, un-educated, malnurished child in the world. But I can't-- and just because I don't stop to talk to you on the street in one of the richest areas in New York City, does NOT mean that I don't do anything. I'm wearing this skirt and these heels because I spend my days slaving away in an office in an effort to help children. Children who I have touched and seen and spoken to and helped. I spend a zillion hours a week trying to educate children on my own time. And yet you have the audacity to sneer at me because I won't give you my credit card information and give you your commission?"

What kind of campaign to save the children of the world are we leading if we get people to sign up by putting them on the defensive? Why do we feel like we have to pounce in order to get others to hear us? Why do we attack eachother in the name of peace?

As I left Barnes and Noble I almost gave my intimidators the finger when I walked by them again. I held back because you can't fight fire with fire-- I just fumed for the next 2 hours.

I have never disliked Children International-- in fact last summer, I was very close to sponsoring a child. Now I'm bitter towards the organization, and I probably will never give them the time of day again. I can't help it. The thing is, this isn't about Children International. It's about the way advocates drum up support in a mostly apathetic nation and encourage people to step outside their bubble. What a huge, looming goal. What a worthy cause.

The thing is, these goals can't be reached through intimidation--they need education. And I saw today that we really can't fight fire with fire, because we'll end up watching all those causes burn.

Just think: when a child throws a temper tantrum, ignoring it is the fastest way to make it go away. And I know THAT because I care about "the children."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home